Friday, December 17, 2010

Days of the Week…Sticky Notes

Being still is not my forte – physically, mentally, emotionally, I’m always moving.  (Granted, it may just be wiggling my foot or something, but that’s the real reason I didn’t take the nude modeling job at UCD when I was unemployed: my max time of sitting still was about 38 seconds).  Over the years I’ve taken different approaches to tackling my prayer life, but I came up with a new plan today.

On the right edge of my computer monitor are five sticky notes with five themes of prayer: Healing, Peace, Provision, Discernment, and Babies (got a lotta preggo friends at the moment!).  On those sticky notes are written the names of friends and family who have particular needs in those areas.  Each work day corresponds to one of the themes; my hope is that the visual representation and at-hand organization will add a little structure to my prayer life.  When I’m distracted, in need of a break, or happen to glance over, I’ll be reminded of those people and their struggles, transitions, brokenness and joy.  And in a season in my life that is filled with difficulties, I want to remember that God is Sovereign not only over my life, but over the lives of dear ones, near and far.

(The other option here would have been prayer-themed days-of-the-week underwear; while I have definitely prayed on the toilet, I don’t feel comfortable with the implications of that fashion choice.) 

Let me know if you want to be added to one of those themes (I bet I can make your prayer request fit under one of those umbrellas!) – you might already be there ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment