Sunday, December 20, 2009

my name is JM, and I have ADD

I can't believe it took 22 years for me to figure out that I probably have ADD. But it really makes sense.

For example, since I turned on the computer, I have checked my email, been on facebook, back to email, returned to facebook, looked up ADHD on Wikipedia, which led to looking up other things on Wikipedia, while keeping track of what's happening in the movie I'm watching, making tea cause I realized I was thirsty, and remembering the list of things I need to do before Urbana. I've been online for 10 minutes.

Er. This should have been obvious a long time ago.

But maybe, this attention deficiency is what has allowed me to do well balancing a crazy schedule. I can't focus on one thing for long, so juggling too many activities was actually a better fit for me. Maybe it's why I'm able to see problems and solutions so holistically in my mind - I see everything as connected, the webs of interaction spreading far beyond the initial issue of interest. I can't look at one isolated thing. It's also why it takes me so long to write research papers...

Like I start with one idea, which leads to another question, which leads me to wikipedia, which - SOMETHING SHINY - and then, all hope is lost of finishing anyth

2 comments:

  1. oh boy oh boy, you talk like my sister.

    I'm glad she was helpful in your self realization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. genius, not finishing your sentenc

    ReplyDelete