The true Jason Mraz fans, those of use who loved him even before his peppier melodies were overplayed on the radio, have his earliest live recording at Java Joe’s. He reveals that one song, entitled “Little You & I,” was, in fact, written for his cat. The tender lyrics were not penned for some fleeting lover, but his loyal feline companion.
Thank you, Mr. Mraz.
As Nathan recently reminded me, Linus IS the man in my life at the moment, and I am glad to have a song that celebrates that special relationship. Because I have become painfully aware in the past months just how many songs are about love, happiness, and other things that I have looked down upon from my snarky, empowered position of a single young woman. Sure, there’s worship music, but that often sounds like a love song if you’re not listening too closely. And you can only listen to so much angry girl rock before you just want to light something on fire.
We need more songs that celebrate the chaos of the twentysomething. Songs about unemployment and living in crappy apartments, navigating the terrible world of dating and finding community after college, frozen yogurt and police raids next door (yes, this happened in Davis), Facebook and watching TV online because we can’t afford cable – upbeat, mournful, sarcastic, lyrical, it doesn’t matter. So, all you composers out there, get on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment